In order to obtain power of attorney over a parent, they must voluntarily grant it to you.  By having your father grant you power of attorney, it is assumed that he is of sound mind and competent enough to make that decision.  Guardianship, on the other hand, requires a showing that your father is mentally or physically incapable of making important decisions or of taking care of himself.  In order to obtain guardianship you would have to prove this to a court, which is difficult to do.

If you need to assert guardianship over a parent for their own well-being, then it may be best to consult with an experienced attorney that can educate you on the best and most efficient steps to take.

If you have any further questions regarding family law in Connecticut, please contact Joseph C. Maya, Esq. at (203) 221-3100 or e-mail him directly at