Contact an Education Lawyer at Maya Law

If you have any questions about amending school records, it may be beneficial to speak to an education lawyer. The attorneys at Maya Murphy, P.C. have extensive experience handling Connecticut education law matters, including school discipline, suspension, expulsion, and readmission, and are well-equipped to assist you in these proceedings.

Amending a School Record

“If a parent believes that his or her child’s educational records are inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of students’ rights to privacy, the parent may request that the school amend the record. The school must decide whether to move forward with this
request within a reasonable time. If it opts not to carry out the request, then the school must inform the parent or eligible student of its decision and his or her right to an informal hearing to contest the decision.”

Minimum Requirements for the Conduct of the Hearing

  • The hearing must be held within a reasonable time after the request and the parent/student must be notified of the date, time, and place, reasonably in advance of the proceeding.
  • An individual from an educational agency or institution may preside over the hearing but must not have a direct interest in the outcome of the case.
  • The contesting party must have a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issue at hand.
  • Parents/eligible students have the right to be represented by an individual at his or her expense, including an attorney.
  • The hearing officer can only consider evidence that was presented during the hearing.

“If the hearing officer decides in favor of the parent or eligible student, the school must amend the record accordingly, and inform the requesting party of this decision. On the other hand, if the hearing officer decides that the educational record is not inaccurate or misleading, parents have the right to put forth a statement in the record commenting on the contested information and why he or she disagrees with the decision of the school. The school has to keep the statement in the record as long as the record is maintained and must disclose the statement whenever it discloses the record to which the statement refers.”

Read more about amending educational records and other aspects of education law in our education publication here:

Maya Murphy P.C. has proudly been included in the 2024 Edition of Best Law Firms®, ranked among the top firms in the nation. In addition, Managing Partner Joseph C. Maya has been selected to The Best Lawyers in America® 2024 for his work in Employment Law and Education Law in Connecticut. Recognition in Best Lawyers® is awarded to firms and attorneys who demonstrate excellence in the industry and is widely regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor.

Our firm in Westport, Connecticut serves clients with legal assistance all over the state, including the towns of Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Bethany, Bethel, Branford, Bridgeport, Brookfield, Cheshire, Danbury, Darien, Derby, East Haven, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Guilford, Hamden, Madison, Meriden, Middlebury, Milford, Monroe, Naugatuck, New Canaan, New Fairfield, New Haven, Newton, North Branford, North Haven, Norwalk, Orange, Oxford, Prospect, Redding, Ridgefield, Seymour, Shelton, Sherman, Southbury, Stamford, Stratford, Trumbull, Wallingford, Waterbury, West Haven, Weston, Westport, Wilton, and Woodbridge. In addition to assisting clients in Connecticut, our firm handles education law matters in New York as well.

If you have any questions about education law in Connecticut or would like to speak to an attorney about a legal matter, please contact Joseph C. Maya and the other experienced attorneys at Maya Murphy, P.C. at (203) 221-3100 or to schedule a free initial consultation today.