If there was a reason for your agreement to have supervised visits with your children, then you must comply with the agreement until the situation has changed.  Once your prior situation has changed, and you feel you should be entitled to unsupervised visits with your children, you may file a motion to modify visitation.

However, it is important to keep in mind that although you feel confident that your previous situation has changed, the deciding factor is how the court views your progress.  Reports from the children’s guardian ad litem as well as your doctors (etc.), may be the deciding factor in modifying the custody agreement.  If you are not represented by counsel, it would best to consult an experienced family law attorney who can assist you in requesting a change in visitation and educate you on the best steps to take in the future.

Our firm in Westport serves clients with divorce, matrimonial, and family law issues from all over the state including the towns of: Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Bethany, Bethel, Branford, Bridgeport, Brookfield, Cheshire, Danbury, Darien, Derby, East Haven, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Guilford, Hamden, Madison, Meriden, Middlebury, Milford, Monroe, Naugatuck, New Canaan, New Fairfield, New Haven, Newton, North Branford, North Haven, Norwalk, Orange, Oxford, Prospect, Redding, Ridgefield, Seymour, Shelton, Sherman, Southbury, Stamford, Stratford, Trumbull, Wallingford, Waterbury, West Haven, Weston, Westport, Wilton, and Woodbridge.

If you have any further questions regarding family law in Connecticut, please contact Joseph C. Maya, Esq. at (203) 221-3100 or e-mail him directly at JMaya@Mayalaw.com.