Out of District Placements for Special Education Children

Out of district placements for special education children can be either school initiated or parent initiated. School district initiated outplacement could be provided through your child’s IEP at a planning and placement team meeting. Parent initiated private outplacement is when a parent files a Notice of Unilateral Placement and funds the placement seeking reimbursement from their school district.

Expert clinical evidence is legally required for all outplacement cases to support private outplacements. At Maya Murphy, P.C. we assist families in navigating cases relating to out of district special education program placements. It is crucial that your child promptly receives necessary accommodations to address their needs within the educational environment.

The attorneys at Maya Murphy, P.C. will work with school districts on your behalf to achieve positive outcomes for the benefit of your child, and take action if necessary against the school district.


Maya Murphy P.C. was proudly included in the 2024 Edition of Best Law Firms®, ranked among the top firms in the nation. In addition, Managing Partner Joseph C. Maya was selected to The Best Lawyers in America® 2024 for his work in Employment Law and Education Law in Connecticut. Recognition in Best Lawyers® is awarded to firms and attorneys who demonstrate excellence in the industry and is widely regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor.

Our firm in Westport, Connecticut serves clients with legal assistance all over the state, including the towns of Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Bethany, Bethel, Branford, Bridgeport, Brookfield, Cheshire, Danbury, Darien, Derby, East Haven, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Guilford, Hamden, Madison, Meriden, Middlebury, Milford, Monroe, Naugatuck, New Canaan, New Fairfield, New Haven, Newton, North Branford, North Haven, Norwalk, Orange, Oxford, Prospect, Redding, Ridgefield, Seymour, Shelton, Sherman, Southbury, Stamford, Stratford, Trumbull, Wallingford, Waterbury, West Haven, Weston, Westport, Wilton, and Woodbridge. In addition to assisting clients in Connecticut, our firm handles education law matters in New York as well.

If you have any questions about education law in Connecticut or would like to speak to an attorney about a legal matter, please contact Joseph C. Maya and the other experienced attorneys at Maya Murphy, P.C. at (203) 221-3100 or to schedule a free initial consultation today.