Posts tagged with "birth certificate"

If the Father of My Child Did Not Want the Child, Does he Still have Rights in Connecticut?

If a man is named the father on a child’s birth certificate, he will have legal rights and responsibilities to the child.  This may be good or bad in any given situation.  If you wish to seek child support from your child’s father then it is beneficial to name him on the child’s birth certificate.  If you do not seek child support and you want to protect your child from their father, then you may consider not naming him on the child’s birth certificate.  If he decides to exercise any rights to the child, he will have to request a paternity test and first prove that the child is his.  It would be in the best interest of you and your child to see a family attorney who has experience handling custody issues and can educate you on the best way to proceed to protect your child in the future.

If you have any questions regarding family law in Connecticut, please contact Joseph C. Maya, Esq. at (203) 221-3100 or e-mail him directly at