Getting a divorce, for many people, is the most challenging life event they have experienced. Not only does divorce tend to be both financially and emotionally taxing, the legalities of getting a divorce can be overwhelming.
Divorce can leave you feeling as though almost all aspects of your life are uncertain. In the face of such uncertainties, it is especially important to know what questions to ask your divorce attorney. We compiled a list of topics for you to consider when contemplating divorce.
Property and Finances
- Spousal support: Periodic, lump sum, waiver
- Tax implications of divorce
- Division of marital assets
- Who, if anyone, will remain in the marital home?
- Selling the marital home
- Division of other real property
- Vehicles: Leased, owned
- Personal property: Furniture, jewelry, etc.
- Business assets
- Bank accounts: Checking, savings, kids account
- Retirement benefits: Pensions, profit shares, deferred compensation, retirement funds
- Debts: Loans, credit cards, taxes, healthcare, etc.
- Medical insurance
- Life insurance
- Child support
- Child custody: legal and physical
- Parenting time with non-custodial parent
- Children’s healthcare costs
- Children’s dental costs
- Cost of primary education
- Cost of secondary education
- Beneficiaries of life insurance
Other Important issues
- Domestic violence
- Temporary restraining orders
- The intersection of criminal law and divorce
- Child abuse
- Addressing mental health
- Addressing substance abuse
- Changing your marital name
If you have any questions about divorce in Connecticut, contact our Managing Partner Joseph Maya directly via email at JMaya@Mayalaw.com or by telephone at (203) 221-3100 for a free consultation.