A conservatorship may be ordered when a court determines that an individual is no longer competent to make decisions regarding his own wellbeing, financial and other arrangements.  Conservatorships can only be obtained after a hearing before a probate judge who issues a ruling that the person for whom the conservatorship is sought is incompetent.

In that case, the court will appoint a conservator to make decisions for the incompetent person, referred to as the “ward.”  The conservator may be given full responsibility for the ward, or they may only be given responsibility for making decisions about particular aspects of the ward’s life, e.g., financial matters, healthcare, home life.

If you have any questions related to conservatorship or wills in Connecticut, please contact Joseph C. Maya, Esq. at (203) 221-3100 or e-mail him directly at JMaya@Mayalaw.com.