As a first step, the employee should review his/her company’s sexual harassment and complaint policy to determine what avenues are available to him/her internally to address the situation.  In some circumstances, employees may have to comply with the employer’s established policies and procedures in order to later bring a legal action.

The employee may also consider telling the harasser to stop the offensive behavior, whether in person, by email or by writing a letter.  Regardless of how it is done, the communication should describe the offensive conduct, make clear that it is unacceptable and that it must stop.  As a next step, the employee may speak to a supervisor or to human resources department.  In all events, the employee should document the steps he/she has taken to complain about or curtail the harassment.

An employee should also consider talking to an attorney with experience in labor and employment law to better understand her rights, particularly if an employer is unwilling or unable to take steps to address any harassment.   Frequently, deadlines for bringing a formal complaint are very strict, so it is generally helpful to talk to an attorney promptly.

If you have any questions related to sexual harassment and discrimination in Connecticut, please contact Joseph C. Maya, Esq. at (203) 221-3100 or e-mail him directly at