Choate Rosemary Hall building with windows

If you have questions regarding special education in private school, contact one of our attorneys at (203) 221-3100.

Getting a District to Pay for Private School

You should consider undergoing a neuropsychological or speech-language evaluation by an experienced outside professional. If done correctly, you might be able to request the school district to fund this evaluation as an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE) under IDEA. Once you have the expert report detailing the deficiencies in the current IEP, the district will likely convene a formal IEP team meeting to review it, although they are not obligated to accept the findings or recommendations.

It is important to carefully review the recommendations in the expert report. Do they explicitly state that your child requires placement in a private special education school and justify why that specific setting is necessary? Alternatively, do they recommend services that your local school can adequately provide, such as speech therapy, occupational therapy, or social skills instruction?

If you believe that your child’s current public school team does not fully understand their needs, it is crucial to advocate for appropriate support. If the school is not receptive to your concerns, seek an evaluation

It is crucial to understand that even the most thorough evaluation report, utilizing current test protocols, extensive data analysis, and well-crafted, reasoned recommendations, may not immediately persuade your school district to fulfill your requests during the meeting. Why might educators and service providers be hesitant to implement the suggestions of a qualified evaluator? And what steps should you take if the team remains resistant and does not approve your placement request despite hearing your concerns?

Maya Murphy P.C. has proudly been included in the 2024 Edition of Best Law Firms®, ranked among the top firms in the nation. In addition, Managing Partner Joseph C. Maya has been selected to The Best Lawyers in America® 2024 for his work in Employment Law and Education Law in Connecticut. Recognition in Best Lawyers® is awarded to firms and attorneys who demonstrate excellence in the industry and is widely regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor.

Our firm in Westport, Connecticut serves clients with legal assistance all over the state, including the towns of Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Bethany, Bethel, Branford, Bridgeport, Brookfield, Cheshire, Danbury, Darien, Derby, East Haven, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Guilford, Hamden, Madison, Meriden, Middlebury, Milford, Monroe, Naugatuck, New Canaan, New Fairfield, New Haven, Newton, North Branford, North Haven, Norwalk, Orange, Oxford, Prospect, Redding, Ridgefield, Seymour, Shelton, Sherman, Southbury, Stamford, Stratford, Trumbull, Wallingford, Waterbury, West Haven, Weston, Westport, Wilton, and Woodbridge. In addition to assisting clients in Connecticut, our firm handles education law matters in New York as well.

If you have any questions or would like to speak to an attorney about a legal matter, please contact Joseph C. Maya and the other experienced attorneys at Maya Murphy, P.C. at (203) 221-3100 or to schedule a free initial consultation today.